USGE requires a Labour Relations Officer
USGE is conducting an anticipatory staffing process to staff indeterminate and/or term positions within the National Office. The positions would be opening starting September 2015.
Invitation to apply in this competitive process is being made to:
• employees of U.S.G.E. (Unifor Local 2025)
• employees of the P.S.A.C. and its Components located in the National Capital Region
• U.S.G.E. members in good standing across Canada (However relocation costs will be the responsibility of the candidate.)
• The general public
THE LOCATION: National Headquarters, U.S.G.E., Ottawa, Ontario
THE POSITION: Reporting to the Director of Labour Relations, the Labour Relations Officer (LRO) provides labour relations representation and advice to Regional Vice Presidents and members on matters of individual and collective representation. Major responsibilities of this position include (but are not limited to):
• representing and advising Regional Vice President and members, groups of members and stewards in accordance with all applicable federal and provincial legislation, collective agreements, policies, and guidelines.
• advising and representing members in formal and informal labour relations issues including processing third party tribunals, arbitration, grievances, mediation, facilitation, complaints and conflict coaching;
• negotiating agreements and settlements on behalf of individual members, or groups of members on a full range of labour relations matters;
• analyzing and researching jurisprudence, applicable legislation, employer policies and collective agreements;
• conducting appropriate research and preparing all relevant documentation and individuals for formal proceedings on assigned labour relations cases;
• providing advice and assistance to members and stewards who represent USGE on various formal committees;
• preparing educational materials, conducting or assisting in training sessions.
There may be a requirement for some travel.
Language requirements: bilingual.
SALARY: $89,885 to $101,167 plus $1,000 bilingualism bonus. Salary dependent upon qualifications. Conditions and benefits, including pay rates, as negotiated between the Union of Solicitor General Employees and UNIFOR Local 2025 will apply.
THE CANDIDATE: The successful candidate will have a university degree in law, labour relations or a related discipline, with five years of progressive and related experience in labour relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. The incumbent will possess: a thorough knowledge of the authorities governing employer/employee relations in the federal public service of Canada; strong representational and advocacy skills; a demonstrated ability and experience in representing members at grievance and adjudication/arbitration hearings as well as union management consultation meetings. In addition, the LRO has experience in handling complaints and grievances, interpreting collective agreements and in representing individuals before third parties such as arbitration boards. The LRO will have the ability to advise members on their employment rights; to conduct interviews, meetings, and information sessions and prepare reports and correspondence.
APPLICATIONS: Applications complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., August, 28, 2015 and addressed to: Fred Sadori, Interim Director of Labour Relations, Union of Solicitor General Employees, Suite 603, 233 Gilmour Street Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0P2 or by email at: Email: USGEJobs-emploisSESG@psac-afpc.com
The interviews will be held the week of September 7, 2015.
Note to applicants: An eligibility list will be established. Please note that expenses incurred by applicants in attending any and all interviews and/or tests shall be the sole responsibility of the applicant. Only applicants that will be interviewed will be contacted.