USGE requires a Senior Advisor
Invitation to apply in this competitive process is being made to:
- employees of U.S.G.E. (Unifor Local 2025)
- employees of the P.S.A.C. and its Components
- U.S.G.E. members in good standing
- The general public
Closing Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 - 4:00pm EST
THE PERIOD: This position is being advertised to fill an indeterminate/permanent need.
THE LOCATION: National Headquarters, U.S.G.E., Ottawa, Ontario
This position is reports to and advises the Director of Policy, Projects and Media Relations. The Senior Advisor will coordinate the day to day operations of the organization's projects and media unit ensuring that the organization is credible and influential.
This position has the responsibility to operationalize the strategy that uses media and communication to build, maintain and manage the representation of the organization, both internally and externally. Major responsibilities of this position include (but are not limited to):
- Draft and edit press releases, talking points, op-eds, blog stories, multimedia packages and corporate communication documents;
- Proactively identify emerging issues and opportunities on a regular basis, and recommend appropriate communications solutions;
- Make media and medium selections and understand how those selections will affect the target audiences;
- Coordinate the production of content and flow of stories to the website by drafting and editing articles from across USGE and obtaining technical and management clearance for web posting;
- Write regular articles and updates to the USGE website and manage the design and content;
- Draft effective communication materials, including action alerts, talking points, issue briefs, letters, press statements, opinion editorials, website updates, and policy reports;
- Assist with conducting research, formulating policy advice, developing options and recommendations and anticipating emerging issues, trends and problems that affect the policies/projects of USGE;
- Support relationships with labour partners, social justice organizations and other key stakeholders. Recognize political (internal and external) implications of those partnerships;
- Support the work of USGE committees and working groups, including the Communication and Education committee;
$82,071 to $92,372 salary dependent upon qualifications. Conditions and benefits, excluding pay rates, as negotiated between the Union of Solicitor General Employees and UNIFOR Local 2025 will apply.
There may be a requirement for some travel.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum a university degree, in Public Relations, Journalism, Arts, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, as well as:
- At least ten (10) years of substantial experience in experience developing a variety of communications products for different audiences and in developing strategic communications plans and their successful implementation;
- Advanced knowledge of social media, digital strategies and tools and an understanding of how to leverage different channels for maximum reach;
- A demonstrated career progression with increasing roles of responsibility including the management of staff;
- Exceptionally organized with ability to multi - task and meet multiple deadlines / demands with short notice;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to trade union and equity principles as well as social justice objectives;
- Ability to work independently and in a high-performing team;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse staff including remote colleagues, coalitions and elected union members;
- Ability to work across the political spectrum;
- Value differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, and socio-economic circumstance;
- Bilingualism required: Fluency in French and English (written and oral) at an advanced level.
Applications and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by 4:00 p.m., Wednesday, December 17, 2014 addressed to: Director of Operations, Union of Solicitor General Employees, Suite 603, 233 Gilmour Street Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0P2, Email: email@example.com
Interviews will be held on December 19, 2014