USJE requires a Strategic Content Specialist
Position Title: Strategic Content Specialist
Classification: Band 8 ( $76,050 to $85,594)
Reports to: The Senior Advisor, and the Director, Policy, Projects and Media
Invitation to apply in this competitive process is being made to:
- employees of USJE (Unifor Local 2025)
- employees of the P.S.A.C. and its Components
- USJE members in good standing
- The general public
Closing Date: , 2020
THE PERIOD: This position is being advertised to fill a 9-month term position.
THE LOCATION: National Headquarters, USJE, Ottawa, Ontario
This position reports to the Senior Advisor, and the Director, of the Policy, Projects and Media department. The successful candidate will provide high level writing and editing skills to the department and a number of committees on a wide variety of projects.In addition, this person will manage the design and printing process for key upcoming communications products.Further, this individual may support the department in the management of USJE’s Community Safety and Justice Initiative as well as other related projects.
Major responsibilities of this position include (but are not limited to):
Creation and updating of key USJE communications products
Under the supervision of the Senior Advisor,
- Update USJE’s 2019 Member Handbook as necessary
- Complete the writing of USJE’s new Local Executive handbook
- Create USJE’s new Regional Vice-President (RVPs) handbook.
- Liaise with all relevant staff and RVPs to compile feedback
- Discuss and determine relevant feedback with departmental leads and ensure incorporation.
- Manage the translation, design and printing process for all above mentioned communications products and others, as necessary
- Provide regular communications to support USJE’s department of policy, programs and media in the creation of website articles, social media posts, reports and newsletters as necessary.
- Provide support and leadership to the management of USJE’s Community Safety and Justice Initiative – by liaising with successful candidates and committee, monitoring projects and compliance with funding agreements, and writing and editing communications as necessary.
- Provide support to at least one USJE Committee
- Other tasks as required.
- Undertake other related communications duties as required by the department.
Band 8 annual salary, pro rated for 9 months, dependent upon qualifications. Excellent conditions and benefits, excluding pay rates, as negotiated between the Union of Safety and Justice and UNIFOR Local 2025 will apply.
There may be a requirement for some travel within Canada.
The successful candidate will have at a minimum a university or college degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, as well as:
- At least five years of substantial experience in developing a variety of communications products for different audiences;
- Exceptionally organized with ability to multi - task and meet multiple deadlines / demands with short notice;
- Excellent research, writing, and speaking skills in one official language. Strong speaking and reading skills in other official language preferred;
- Expertise in design, coordination and production
- Experience creating social media engagement and posts
- Experience managing funding grants preferred
- Commitment to USJE’s mandate and an appreciation for the front line work USJE members do across 18 federal departments;
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to trade union and equity principles as well as social justice objectives;
- Ability to work independently and in a high-performing team;
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse staff including remote colleagues, coalitions and elected union members;
- Appreciation for the distinct experiences USJE’s members have vis a vis ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, language, ability, and socio-economic circumstance.
Applications and complete with curriculum vitae, should be submitted by January 31st, 2020 addressed to: Senior Advisor, Union of Safety and Justice Employees, Suite 1004, 233 Gilmour Street Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0P2, Email: USJEJobs-emploisSESJ@psac-afpc.com